The founding of HFU in 2008 arose from a shared passion for individuals, households and communities affected by malnutrition and the associated costs. The coming together of a group of Eight (8) Alumni Volunteers of the course on Hunger in the 21st Century became one of the earliest responses to hunger. The touching course was organized by United Nations World Food Programme (UNWFP) and the Continuing Agricultural Education Centre (CAEC), college of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences at Makerere University.
The idea of shared concern, ability and responsibility became a unifying factor in mobilizing other volunteers and stakeholders to be part of this indigenous response to Hunger in Uganda with local, national and global perspective. Since then, the organisation has remained an agency that has stimulated individuals, families, communities and institutions at local and national levels as partners and volunteers, those who have the aspiration and willingness to fight hunger and its associated consequences.
3. The HFU membership philosophy is a shared feeling of passionate stakeholders working together with mutual support in responding to hunger and malnutrition. It is premised on the recognition that by working together in partnership we shall achieve more in our strategies aimed at realizing the vision of “A hunger and malnutrition free Uganda”.
4. Our membership philosophy is cognizant of the fact that hunger is a multidimensional challenge that no single institution or solution can eradicate it but a combination of such efforts. Our membership is built on the following shared organisation values;
a) Food for life:
We value food as the primary instrument in humanity’s effort to fight hunger. We are defenders of the right to food as the first universal inalienable human right.
b) Transparency and accountability
We believe and work with openness and accountability to the communities we serve, within our organisation as well as our partners.
c) Respect for diversity
As a team with diverse disciplines serving diverse communities, we work together as a family to meet the needs of vulnerable people by empowering them to harness their opportunities in order to responds to their challenges.
d) Value neutrality: We serve different communities irrespective of their culture, sex, gender, religion, and nationality with a national and global perspective.
e) Partnership for efficiency: We value togetherness and our services are dedicated to bringing positive and holistic change to our society.
5. Our membership philosophy is therefore an invitation to each one of us in our various capacities and status, irrespective of our gender, age, colour, race, and geographical location to identify with and be part of the solutions to hunger. For the last 7 years now, HFU mission has remained “To eradicate hunger through promoting household food and nutrition security, sustainable agriculture, research, environmental conservation, humanitarian support and behavioral change”.
Become a member
How do i become a member?
. To join the Hunger Fighters Uganda, a family of committed volunteers to eradicating hunger, one needs to sign up and contribute a membership fee. This is besides many other things each of one of us can and should do to make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities affected by hunger. And, above all contribute to ending hunger. By so doing, you will become a member of the larger community willing to identify and contribute to the successes registered over the years in the fight against hunger.
How do i benefit?
Be identified as a hunger fighter and join a growing movement in responding to the scourge of hunger and malnutrition.
• You get the opportunity to actively and variously contribute to a very noble cause of responding to hunger in our communities through our programmes and projects.
• Attending the General Assembly Meetings.
• Eligibility to vote and be elected (with other requirements met) to serve on the HFU Board of Directors.
• Access the Hunger Fighters Uganda Resource Centres and receive periodical newsletters and other IEC materials.
• Benefit from the opportunities of being recruited to the project working teams.
• Receive a HFU membership Certificate.
How to become a Member?
Please, say you want to be part of this noble cause and register as a member now. This is your opportunity to join the fight against hunger and make your contribution count in preventing malnutrition and the associated costs.
Do i pay any membership fees?
There are three membership categories; Full membership, Associate membership and honorary membership. Membership is renewed on an annual basis by paying the annual subscription fee as indicated here,
• Membership Fee : 20,000/=
• Annual Subscription fee : 50,000/=
HFU subscription and membership registration is done at Hunger Fighters Uganda Head Office, at the Field Offices or through specified online systems. To register for membership, one needs to download, complete and return the membership form to the address given below.
How can i get in touch?
Sir Apollo Kagwa Road, Opposite Makerere Business Institute
P. O Box 28175, Kampala
Tel: 0434132858, +256774-369757, +256706-872271